While I was trying to figure out why I couldn’t get the SMSDBMON.LOG file to stop repeating this error message over and over every second and filling up my server. I was getting desperate and called into MS support. Well, I opened a ticket and they did contact me within 2 hours, but by that time I was so frustrated I decided to try SCCM SP1 (upgrade) since I already tried the "Repair Site" option with no success.

Problem:

Warning: Could not create file e:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\WSUSMgr.box\100.SHA, Error=3.

Solution:

Make sure you delete this role and look at the SUPSetup.LOG and make sure it’s "Deinstalled". Then run the SCCM SP1 with UPGRADE and reboot server after the upgrade is completed. Then install the Software Update Role.