In part 1 of the Microsoft System Center 2012 Lab we installed System Center Virtual Machine Manager, (SCVMM) 2012 on my Windows 2008 R2 home lab server. The next step is to add the host server to SCVMM. Stay tuned because in my next post we will configure SCVMM networking.
"The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent my employer’s positions, strategies or opinions. This post is an AS IS offering and please test this solution to verify it works for you and your environment".
- Active Directory domain
- The user that will be adding the Host to the SCVMM console must be an administrator on the Hyper-V host server
- The host computer be in the same Active Directory domain as the SCVMM computer
To Add the Host Computer to the SCVMM console
- Start in the Fabric workspace > Right Click the Host Group where you want to add the Hyper-V host server> Click Add Hyper-V Hosts and Clusters
- The Add Resource Wizard starts > Select Windows computers on a Trusted Active Directory domain > Click Next
- Enter the Credentials to be used to discover the computer and install the SCVMM agent > Click Next
- To discover the host computer to add to SCVMM 2012 > Select Windows computers by name > Enter the computer name in the text box > Click Next
- Select the discovered computer > Click Next
- On the Host Settings page use the Location dropdown to add the Hyper-V host to a Host group > Click Next
- On the Summary page confirm the Hyper-V host settings > Click Next
- The Add virtual host job status appears on the Jobs page
The Hyper-V host was added successfully