So, you have an existing OpsMgr 2007 R2 environment and you have decided to use a multi-home migration to move to OpsMgr 2012. What are some key points to consider?
- First is to consider what upgrade options are available in System Center: Attached is the matrix of the System Center components and their deployment options
- A key concept to remember is that an OpsMgr 2012 agent can report to both an OpsMgr 2007 R2 environment or an OpsMgr 2012 environment.
- To multi-home an agent to both OpsMgr 2007 R2 the agent needs to be upgraded to OpsMgr 2012 and multi-homed to both the original management group and new management group. Using this process we were able to easily upgrade and multi-home an existing OpsMgr 2007 R2 agent.
- Verify that the system is an existing OpsMgr 2007 R2 agent in the first management group (MG1).
- Open the OpsMgr 2012 console in the second management group (MG2).
- Discover and deploy the agent in the OpsMgr 2012 console to the system.
- This results in a multi-homed OpsMgr 2012 agent reporting both the original MG (MG1) and to the new MG (MG2).
- If you are interested in using ConfigMgr to perform you multi-home upgrades check out this article from MyItForum, or the direct URL to the topic here.
Thank you to Larry Brown for his testing (and re-testing) on this idea in the OpsMgr 2012 console!