The second keynote of MMS 2012 focused on users and their connected devices. Specific points from the keynote include the following items:
- MMS 2013: New Orleans in June
- Brad Anderson said Microsoft will be providing “Deep integration with Windows, IOS and Android”
- Windows InTune Pre-Release announced
- InTune: All lab systems at MMS 2012 are being managed by Windows InTune.
- InTune: Still does not support server OS’s (via twitter feed not directly in the Keynote)
- InTune and Self service on user controlled devices:
- Connected devices should be managed from the cloud.
- InTune supports Windows, Android and IOS devices.
- Devices can be trusted based on your active directory credentials.ConfigMgr:
- An updated version of ConfigMgr 2012 around the timeframe of Windows Server 2012 release will include “DeepLink” functionality:
- DeepLink – links into the application store and as the user logs in with their AD account they see the icons for the various applications and just presents the user with the application that you want them to use in your organization to be productive.
- The demo showed Bing Maps – DeepLink points to a Windows 8 Store Application Link
- Application deployment in ConfigMgr 2012 considers not only successful deployments but also those that are already compliant (such as a condition where the application has already been deployed to a system).
- Siloing of applications – Load applications without having to go through the primary store.Demo discussed an end-user remote wipe for devices discussed using “My Devices”
- The beta for ConfigMgr 2012 was managing 500,000 devices in production and 307,000 endpoint protection agents were deployed as part of the TAP.
- From a bring-your-own device perspective control and governance are key concepts across all devices.
- Regarding Windows InTune and ConfigMgr Brad Anderson “as we go forward we are going to bring these two closer together”.
- New MDOP component: User experience virtualization (UEV). User state virtualization product to separate your user state from the image and allows you to run in a pool model where you have one OS that everyone launches from.
- VDI: Focusing on Fast and Easy. Showed the setup of VDI live in a demo in less than a minute using the add roles and features wizard (this starts the process to run these steps in the background after the wizard is completed).
(Shout-out to the ConfigMgr MVP’s – good job on the video guys!)