I made a post over a week ago talking about extending the Data Profiling task and in there I just cover the some of the basics on my methods for extending it and what goals I had in mind.
It actually sparked a few e-mails and so, due to interest, I am going to graduate my sloppy proof-of-concept code into a workable project. To put further rigor and transparency, I am going to put this project on CodePlex so others can contribute and enjoy.
Anyone interested in helping in the development, feel free to shoot me an e-mail. Per CodePlex rules, I’ve got 30 days to post code and publish to the project, so the clock is ticking!
My goal is that this will be a simple app where you plug in a connection string to a SQL Server and your output is a document with the profile results.
For further reading on this topic, John Welch, a Microsoft MVP, was kind enough to leave a comment about my prior post as he had the same issue with the Data Profiling task as I had. For anyone wanting to look at his work around to make the profiling task more flexible, please reference his post , "Using the Data Profiling Task to Profile All the Tables in a Database", here.