If your area of interest is monitoring solutions and you are attending TechEd 2014 this post should bring together a lot of information that you will want to know about next week’s event in Houston Texas. For those of us with a background of attending MMS, TechEd is huge by comparison. The number of sessions and variety of topics is large which can make it difficult to find areas that you are most interested in. Let me start with the must-do’s at TechEd from the monitoring perspective:
Monday’s keynote: Monday from 9:00 – 10:30 am the keynote is a must-see regardless of your area of focus.
Sessions specific to Operations Manager at TechEd 2014:
Microsoft product team sessions: The Microsoft product team provided a blog post on sessions that they will be covering http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2014/04/21/teched-2014-opsmgr-breakout-sessions-presented-by-engineering-team.aspx. Highlights on their three sessions include:
Building Highly Effective Dashboards in Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager
Monday, May 12 4:45 PM – 6:00 PM
This session covers the brand new innovations in the Operations Manager dashboard infrastructure that allows you to build custom dashboards for any audience.
Overview and Enhancements in Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager
Wednesday, May 14 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM
This session provides an overview of the most stable enterprise monitoring product available today and the new innovations that arrived in R2 and since. This session also features a panel discussion with members of the System Center Product Group.
Extending Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager
Thursday, May 15 1:00 PM – 2:15 PM
This session covers how Operations Manager as a platform has been extended with System Center Advisor to provide Operational Intelligence about customers’ environments by capturing their operational/machine data into a big data store in Azure. Come see how easy it is to collect logs, explore them in real-time and visualize the results. On top of that come learn about the built-in add-ons that deliver intelligence for Capacity Planning, System Updates and Malware Protection.
Additional sessions specific to Operations Manager:
My own Operations Manager session will also be occurring. Highlights on this session and other non-product team sessions:
DCIM-B420 Evolution of Infrastructure Monitoring: Taking Your Environment to the Next Level with Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager
Thursday, May 15 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM
If you are an Operations Manager administrator or want to be, this is the session you have been looking for. This is not a history lesson on Operations Manager but rather a "lessons learned in the field" presentation that will allow you to take Operations Manager to the next level. Topics include maintenance, integration, dashboards, and what is new above and beyond System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager.
DCIM-B360 Key Metric, Performance, and Capacity Monitoring Using Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager
Wednesday, May 14 3:15 PM – 4:30 PM
In this session, we take a look at important performance metrics to look at when monitoring your Hyper-V 2012 environment. Pinpoint the specific counters, spot trends, and detect performance bottlenecks. We take a look at how to effectively use Resource Monitor and System Center Operations Manager to troubleshoot performance issues. We also cover some of the new performance metrics in Windows Server 2012 R2.
DCIM-B419 Monitoring SQL Server with Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager
Thursday, May 15 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM
Take a deep dive into monitoring Microsoft SQL Server with System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager, System Center 2012 R2 Advisor and protection with System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager. This session is focused on the application SQL Server and how we can keep it in tip top condition.
DCIM-B228 Effective Capacity Planning of Your Infrastructure Resources with Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager Reporting
Thursday, May 15 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM
The information you need to make the right choices about how you plan capacity for your private and public cloud infrastructure is at your fingertips in the data that you collect with Operations Manager. All you need to know is how to best utilize the Operations Manager datawarehouse, reporting, dashboarding, and Microsoft SharePoint to bring this information to the surface and then visualize it.
Social opportunities for Operations Manager at TechEd 2014:
- There is a meeting with the Operations Manager product team. Details are available at: http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2014/03/25/are-you-attending-teched-2014-interested-in-meeting-with-the-opsmgr-product-team.aspx
Not attending TechEd but you still want to be involved?
- If you are not attending TechEd but you want to see what is going on live, check out the TechEd Live stream (which even includes my coworker Jason Sandys!)
- Sessions will also be posted on Channel9!
What else is going on which is related to monitoring at TechEd 2014?
In the monitoring space it’s no longer as simple as just choosing all Operations Manager items to keep up. Monitoring may now mean a variety of products including System Center Operations Manager, Application Insights, Application Performance Monitoring, DevOps, Azure and even directly monitoring email within Exchange 2013.
The list below was developed by searching all content for the keyword of "Monitoring" and the keyword of "Operations" from within the list of sessions. Additionally I searched on the product or component (System Center Operations Manager, DevOps). Additionally, I recommend checking out the "Datacenter and Infrastructure Management" track as a focus area since that’s where most of the monitoring concepts are at.
For your reference there are a lot of different session types including: Breakout, Exam Prep, Foundational, Hands-on Lab, Instructor-led Lab, Keynote, Pre-Conference Seminar, TechEd 101, Women in Technology. There are six tracks at TechEd 2014: Data Platform and Business Intelligence, Datacenter and Infrastructure Management, Developer Platform and Tools, Office Servers and Services, People-centric IT, Windows Phone and Devices.
Breakouts: Here’s the list of breakouts I’m seeing which look interesting from a monitoring perspective:
- PRC02 From Code to Release: DevOps for Developers. [Sunday, May 11 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM]
- DCIM-B313 Best Practices for Virtualizing and Managing Microsoft SharePoint 2013 with Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 and Windows 2012 R2 [Monday, May 12 3:00 PM – 4:15 PM]
- DCIM-B223 The Future of Microsoft Azure DevOps: Building, Deploying, Managing and Monitoring Your Cloud Applications in the New Azure Portal [Monday, May 12 4:45 PM – 6:00 PM]
- OFC-B315 Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Managed Availability [Tuesday, May 13 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM]
- DCIM-B394 Virtualizing the Last Mile: Leveraging the Benefits of Virtualizing Infrastructure Workloads [Tuesday, May 13 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM]
- DCIM-B222: Transform Your IT Skills in a DevOps World [Tuesday, May 13 1:30 PM – 2:45 PM]
- DCIM-B343: Extend Microsoft System Center 2012 R2: Manage Hybrid Cloud Distributed Application and Dynamic Application Maps [Tuesday, May 13 5:00 PM – 6:15 PM]
- DCIM-B348 Management Pack Authoring for IT Admins [Wednesday, May 14 8:30 AM – 9:45 AM]
- DCIM-B415 Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager: Mastering Historical Monitoring Data [Wednesday, May 14 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM]
- OFC-B312 Monitoring and Tuning Microsoft Exchange Server 2012 Performance [Wednesday, May 14 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM]
- DCIM-B358 The Agile End-to-End Story for Developers and IT Professionals [Wednesday, May 14 1:30 PM – 2:45 PM]
- DCIM-B416 Microsoft System Center 2012 R2: Continual Availability in the Datacenter [Wednesday, May 14 1:30 PM – 2:45 PM]
- DBI-B315 Microsoft SQL Server 2014: In-Memory OLTP: Memory/Storage Monitoring and Troubleshooting [Wednesday, May 14 3:15 PM – 4:30 PM]
- DCIM-B217 Managing Linux with Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V and Microsoft System Center 2012 R2: For the Windows Administrator [Wednesday, May 14 5:00 PM – 6:15 PM]
- DCIM-B218 New DevOps Agent: Application Performance Monitoring in Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 [Thursday, May 15 8:30 AM – 9:15 AM]
- DCIM-H302 Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Lab 5: Application Management
- DCIM-H303 Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Lab 3: Automation & Self Service
- DCIM-H307 Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Lab 2: Infrastructure Monitoring
- DCIM-H310 Monitoring Your Datacenter with Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager
- DCIM-H326 Managing Linux Servers with Microsoft System Center 2012 R2
- DCIM-IL306-R Speed Lab! Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Overview [Thursday, May 15 89:30 am – 9:45 AM]
I look forward to seeing lots of System Center focused folks at TechEd next week. If you see other monitoring content that I missed at next week’s event please post a comment here!