Recently at a client in production and in my home lab, I ran into the an issue where the Software Updates task in my Build and Capture TS for Windows 7 would just hang. It would get to the task and scan for updates correctly according to the log and the UI, then it would just sit on “Installing Update 1 of x” forever (and never time out). Digging through the logs didn’t reveal much except for errors in the UpdateHandler.log with the error code 0x80040669. I have previously seen this error code before and even documented some fix actions (http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys/archive/2009/03/16/build-and-capture-and-software-updates.aspx), but those were not working even though they were in place.

After comparing settings, rebuilding packages, recreating Update Deployments, and searching the web, I finally found the issue: our old friend, the boundary. In the cases where this issue was cropping up, an AD Boundary was in use. Switching the boundary to an IP Range fixed this issue. I don’t recall specifically whether or not the IP Subnet was included in the AD boundary or not, but I think it was and given that these task sequences, like all good build and captures task sequences, were executing on non-domain joined systems, the AD site was useless.

Just another reason why I refuse to use or recommend anything except IP Range boundaries (future blog post on that).